NEW: The Wyatt Special Education Advocacy Training (WSEAT) is a 6 module training that includes information useful to both parents and school professionals. The training includes modules on inclusion, managing behavioral challenges, and PWS specific challenges and solutions.
At times children with Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS) face challenges in the school environment. Whether it is monitoring food, managing transitions, or creating an effective relationship with school professional, ensuring an appropriate and effective learning environment is an essential part of parenting a child with PWS. The Prader-Willi Syndrome Association (USA) is available to partner with you as you navigate the special education process. Our Family Support Counselors and Special Education Specialist can:
- Provide you and school professionals with resources (printed and video) to help explain the needs of a student with PWS including our DVD for Educators, an Educator Packet (for school professionals) and the School Portfolio (for parents).
- Offer strategies for resolving behavioral challenges and other issues of concern in school and classroom settings.
- Review and make suggestions for appropriate IEPs for students with PWS.
- Communicate directly with teachers and other school professionals to answer questions about PWS.
- Participate, often by phone, in IEP and other problem solving meetings to explain the needs of students with PWS.
- Offer more intensive school support, when needed, through the work of PWSA (USA) national educational consultants whose services are paid for by the PWSA (USA) Crisis Intervention Fund.
- Share strategies and suggestions for building an effective partnership with IEP team members and other school professionals.
- Share up to date information about supporting students with PWS through the free School Times e-letter (Sign Up Here!).
Here are some great resources:
- DVD for Educators
- Educator Packet (for school professionals)
- School Portfolio (for parents)
- Food Security – Educational Environments
- Preventing Suspension of Students with Disabilities
- PWS Education and Training
- Health Concerns Student HO Horizontal
- Info for School Staff
- Responsible Home Schooling
- Overview of the IDEA
- Information for School Transportation
- Key Components for Success with a Child with Prader-Willi syndrome in a School Setting
- Supporting Students with PWS AAB Resource
- Advocating for Your Child with a Rare Disease at School
- Wrights Law
- Advocacy Institute